I, for one, find something delicious about bread. Any kind of bread, for that matter… especially the kind my children make!
As part of our 80 Days of Summer Fun Challenge, we made bread in a bag. It was a fun recipe that was simple enough for my 4, 7 and 9 year olds to make with just a few ingredients and very little assistance!
Start by dumping 1 cup of flour into a gallon size ziploc bag. Next, add 3 Tbsp of sugar, 1 package of yeast and 1 cup of water, then mix it up! (After sealing the bag, of course!) While we squished the dough, we talked about yeast and how it “burps” to let out gas. My children thought that was the funniest, yet weirdest, thing.
We let the bag rest for 10 minutes, letting the yeast activate. You can compare the bag before it sits and after, pointing out the bubbles (or burps) from the yeast.
After the 10 minute rest, we added 3 Tbsp olive oil, 1.5 tsp salt and another cup of flour to the bag. Then we did more squishing (3 minutes.)
We opened the bag and added in the last cup of flour and mixed it again. At this point, I also let my children sprinkle some flour on a clean counter top. We dumped the dough from the bag to the counter, where I let my children kneed the bread for 8 minutes (until it was smooth.)
I let my children spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and they divided the dough into 4 equal parts, before shaping into loaves. We put the dough in the pan, then let it rise for about an hour. (I always set my pan on the stove, covered with a towel. About 40 minutes into the rising process, I turn the oven on, letting the heat help out, if needed.) Take a look at the before and after:
Bake the bread at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let it rest for about 30 minutes – it will be extremely hot! After the bread cools for a bit, slice it up and let your children spread on a little butter! They will be so proud of their accomplishments!
Bread in a Bag Recipe
- 3 C flour, divided into 3x 1 cups
- 1 (.25) package rapid rise yeast
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 C warm water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- In a resealable plastic bag combine 1 cup of flour, sugar and yeast and add in warm water. (Make sure it’s not too hot.)
- Remove the air from the bag, seal it, then squish to mix ingredients together.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes at room temperature. (Watch the burps!)
- Open the bag and add 1 cup of flour, the oil and salt. Remove the air from the bag, seal it and squish again.
- Add the last cup of flour and continue mixing, until well blended.
- Remove the dough from the bag and put on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead for about 8 minutes, until smooth.
- Divide the dough and place each into lightly greased (mini) loaf pans. Of course you can make one big loaf, too!
- Cover the pan with a towel and allow to rise for about 45-60 minutes. You want the bread to double in size.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the bread rest and enjoy!