We recently traveled to Louisiana with a baby. While it was an easy road trip, it was a 9 hour drive. With a little preparation and thinking, you can make the ride as easy as ours was!
1. Only Pack What Baby Needs. Remember life before kids, when everything was simple? I used to pack a magazine, books, a crossword puzzle…) forget it! Your bag will now contain a book for baby, a rattle, some snacks and infant Tylenol! If you do get a moment to yourself, you can always take a quick nap or delete duplicate pictures on your phone!
2. Bring Clip on Toys. Toys that attach to the stroller and car seat will be your best friend – especially if your baby is 5-12 months old. You won’t have to stop the car to grab the toy he/she threw for the 10th time.
3. Make a Plan. The trip will go a lot smoother if you plan for the car ride. If you make a pit-stop, know who will walk the baby while the other gathers items needed for a diaper change or feeding. Team work is going to be your best strategy!
4. Pack Less Than You Think You Need. Only pack about 5 toys. It will open more space for necessary items, and you won’t bring items you’ll never use. Make sure you pack favorite toys so they are familiar, but a new toy (or two) will keep things interesting!
5. Do Pack a Baby Kit. From diapers to wipes to change of clothes and blankets, make sure you have enough for the entire road trip. You surely don’t want to have to take out the big suitcases to get more supplies, though you certainly can if needed. (But trust me… loading and unloading more than twice is enough!)
If you are traveling to the Schaumburg IL area, and looking for a new or used car, make sure you check out Patrick Cadillac. At Patrick Cadillac, it is their goal to exceed your expectations from test drive to delivery and beyond.