You may be inviting guests to your home to watch the Super Bowl game, but how about playing a few games of your own? Throwing a successful Super Bowl party means having a few fun plays up your sleeve. Not only can games keep guests entertained during lackluster periods of the game, but you’ll also have a fun alternative for guests who may not be football fans. Jennifer Carver, of Spaceships and Laser Beams, is sharing a few fun game ideas to try out at your next Super Bowl party.
Every great host plans for a little entertainment and a Super Bowl party is no exception. Of course, the “big game” calls for Super Bowl related games and activities, so try to keep things football related as much as possible. Hopefully the games you plan can add to the game instead of detract from it. Don’t forget to offer guests incentives for joining in the fun. Prizes can include special treats, Super Bowl themed paraphernalia or merchandise, or something like a gift card for post-game dessert.
Prior to the start of the game, invite guests over to enjoy a touch football game of their own. Orchestrating your own pigskin classic only requires a few simple preparations and can accommodate both children and adults. Encourage participation by reminding guests about all the guilt-free snacking they can do post game!
While guests are settling in for the long haul, pass out a Super Bowl questionnaire and let everyone make some pre-game predictions.
- Which team will win?
- What will the final score be?
- Who will be the MVP?
- Which team will score first?
- What will the halftime score be?
- Who will throw the most interceptions?
- How many rushing yards will each team gain?
- Will the national anthem singer make a mistake?
After the football game is over, reveal the winner or closest guess for each question.
One big part of watching the Super Bowl for many spectators is tuning into the overhyped Super Bowl commercials. How about centering some games on them? Here are two ideas to get you started:
- Super Bowl Commercial Bingo. Have guests fill in a blank Bingo card with as many different Super Bowl commercial ideas as they can think of. For example: car commercial, beer commercial, chip commercial and so on. When that type of commercial airs, they get to mark it off on their card.
- Have each guest choose a product they think will appear during commercial breaks. Make guests eat a jumbo marshmallow (or something equally as funny), every time their product appears. For example, if a guest chose “car”, they have to eat a marshmallow every time a car commercial of any kind is shown.
The singing of the National Anthem and musical entertainment is an important part of professional sporting competition. Host your own auditions for the Super Bowl music by inviting guests to participate in a karaoke competition. Do your guests have what it takes to perform in front of an audience of millions?
Don’t leave the game playing just to those professionals in pads and helmets—add a few of these games to your party for even more fun!