Disclosure: I was provided with a 2014 Mazda6 i Grand Touring for the duration of one week, to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are 100% my own.
I have not driven a car for 7 years. I have owned a mini-van since my daughter was born. We needed the room and comfort… I thought those features couldn’t be found in a car. I was wrong. The 2014 Mazda 6 iGrand Touring provides comfort, space and top safety features that are just right for a family vehicle.
Safety is always my #1 priority. I was happy to find out IIHS made the Mazada 6i Grand Touring a Top Safety Pick for 2013. Here’s why:
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert: While the vehicle is in reverse, this alerts you if a vehicle (or object) is approaching the rear of your car.
- Blind Spot Monitoring: Lighted alerts on the side mirrors if a vehicle is in your blind spot. You will also get notification if conditions are not safe for you to change lanes yet.
- Forward Obstruction Warning System: Warnings of a possible collision if an obstruction is detected ahead.
- Lane Departure Warning System: You are alerted if the car senses you are drifting over the line into the other lane.
- Other: 24 Hour roadside assistance, advance dual front airbags, front side-impact airbags, front and read side curtain airbags and 3 point safety belts, hands free navigation… to name a few!
Technology: i-Eloop Regenerative Engine Braking System
The Mazda 6 i Grand Touring has an optional feature called i-Eloop Brake Energy Regeneration Systems.
i-ELOOPis a unique regenerative braking system that creates electricity from wasted energy when you slow down.
Unlike less efficient systems that use a battery, i-ELOOP uses a capacitor to more efficiently store energy for Mazda6’s electrical features. The result: more horsepower to move the wheels.
i-ELOOP performs three functions; ‘regeneration,’ ‘storage’ and ‘use.’ A big focus of the development was how to generate and store electricity as efficiently as possible because the opportunity to do this, the period when a car is braking or decelerating, is by nature, very short. In order to develop a system which efficiently recaptures kinetic energy, generates electricity, quickly stores that electricity, Mazda has utilize variable voltage alternator and low-resistance, high-capacity electric double layer capacitor (EDLC).
Gas & Mileage
The Mazda 6 i Grand Touring offers an impressive MPG: 28 in the city and 40 on the highway! I drove this car for a week, including two long distance trips, and barely used half of the gas in the tank!
With an overall MSRP of $29,695 the Mazda 6 i Grand Touring offers a comfortable and safe family car. Take a look at a few more pictures:
The spacious trunk was more than enough space for last minute Christmas shopping!
The roomy back seat fit two car seats comfortably – with a third child in the middle!
My children always enjoy looking out of the sunroof! It’s great to let the sun shine in while you are driving around town!