One of our favorite places to go for a staycation in Dallas is Great Wolf Lodge. Great Wolf Lodge provides a nice, temperature controlled, indoor waterpark that is fun for children of all ages! To get the most from your Great Wolf Lodge staycation, take a look at these tips for visiting the waterpark before you pack your bags! (Great Wolf Lodge is physically located in Grapevine, Texas, a suburb of Dallas.)
1. Check Groupon before booking your room. Groupon often offers deals for Great Wolf Lodge, and most include a food credit, as well! Groupon vouchers may contain blackout dates, so make sure you pay attention to the fine print.
2. Keep in mind that every room at Great Wolf Lodge is nice. You won’t be spending much time in your room, so consider a smaller, basic room vs a suite, if money is a concern. We recently stayed in the kid’s cabin and it was amazing. There was more than enough room for my family t0 relax and spread out.
3. Make sure you bring your own snacks and drinks. Each room at Great Wolf Lodge has a refrigerator and a microwave. Pack your soda, bottled water, juice and/or alcohol instead of buying it there!
4. If you opt to play the Magiquest game, consider sharing wands among siblings.
Magiquest is an interactive scavenger hunt type game played on each floor of the hotel. Tell your children they will have to take turns or let them each claim a floor or play at separate times. Know you have 72 hours to finish a game. If you live close, you can go back the next day to finish your quest!
5. Scope out the area before you get to Great Wolf Lodge. It’s okay to check in, go for a swim, leave for dinner and return for more fun! Around Christmastime, downtown Grapevine is decorated and beautiful!
6. Look for ads in the elevator before purchasing anything. From the Magiquest game to bear stuffings to pizza to face painting, you will usually see a bundled Paw Pass package in one of the elevators, which, in our case, we were able to split among three children – allowing them to each leave with a fun gift to take home. (Read all about the Paw Pass at Great Wolf Lodge.)
7. You have all day (on the day of check-out) to swim! You may start using the water park at 1:00 p.m. on the day of check-in. Keep in mind, check-in to your room begins at 4:00 p.m.; so pack a separate bag with your bathing suits so you can begin playing in the park as soon as you arrive. Check-out is at 11:00 a.m. the day of departure but you may continue to use the water park and lodge amenities until close!
8. Stay for the nightly storytime! We always leave the waterpark for dinner, returning to get ready for bed, going down for storytime in our pajamas! You are likely to meet the lodge’s mascot while you are there!
9. Leave your towels and lifejackets at home! You won’t need these items, nor will you need sunscreen if you stay in the indoor portion of the waterpark!
10. Get into the holiday spirit! Around the holidays, Great Wolf Lodge has themed decorations and activities that your children will enjoy! From bingo to storytime to snow in the lobby and more, holidays are always fun at the lodge!